Friday, June 22, 2007

My history of poker

I started playing poker in my first year of college for nickles, dimes and quarters. We pretty much just played 5-draw and of course had the mixed games in there (Chicago, pass the trash, etc) and I really sucked balls in those games. Thinking back, I bet I was winner only a few times, but with $10 on the line, who cares. After moving to Denver, I started hanging out with a group of guys that played some home games on a regular business and for some reason, I dominated those games and was winner almost every night.

One of those guys was a regular on PokerStars and tried to get me to do it for the longest time, but I was reluctant to put my own money on-line. Well, I eventually put on $100 and did pretty well with it....for a few months. I think I was up to $1000 at one time, then moved up levels and got crushed. I think I was playing some $5 sng's at first and then moved on to the ring games. So what level did I start off playing with my $1000 roll? $0.25/0.50?....nope, I started right off at $2/$4. Now, before you hate on me too much, realize that I hadn't played a lot and the sng's that I did play, I did well in and I just thought that I could continue to perform at a higher level. Wrong! I lost it all in one day, and quit.

I was out for no more than 3 or 4 months before I found my self at a bar where they offered free Hold-em. I sat down and won, and was hooked again. I redeposited on PS again and bought a few books. Super System had a big impact on my play and just opened my eyes to a whole new world.

So I play on PS quite a bit and I don't do very well at all, but to be honest, I don't take it that seriously. Most of the time when I play, I am either at work and can't concentrate as much as I should be or I am at home after work and am way too tired to play. For example, I will get into a sng a work then get a call from a physician and have to sit out after 10 minutes of play. I look at my sharkscope and it makes me cringe. I really think that if I concentrate, I could do much better than my results show.

Therefore, I am going to do this challenge only when I can devote enough time to be effective and play my game and I am not going to play over my BR. I am giving myself 6 months so I don't feel rushed and try to 'catch-up' and I really think it is realistic for me to do this while holding my job down and keeping some sort of life outside of poker.

Holla at ya'll later.

farmist

No comments: